That figure is what this Jeep owner paid to have gigantic wheels and tires. He (or she) sits head and shoulders above many of the teeming masses below.
Besides the added financial cost, they pay the price for this privilege in several other ways:
- Reduced fuel economy
- Increased road noise
- Reduced number of off-road trails that can be accessed, due to the massive width
- Reduced top speed
- Increased opportunities to end up head-over-heels, due to a much higher center of gravity
- Greatly reduced visibility out the rear-view mirror
- Inaccurate speed readings from the speedometer
- Scaring drivers that are faint of heart
Is it worth the extra cost? I’m sure the owner thinks so.
My take? Buy a large bumper sticker that expresses your individuality.
My vehicle? No added exterior content. No bumper stickers. (I express my individuality in other ways — like by writing this.)